End of the Year Reflection

Throughout this semester, this course has taught more than simply just Cell & Molecular Biology. This course has taught me a very important academic skill, which is how to put things together in order to see the bigger picture. I had previously noticed that I tended to overcomplicate things by focusing on the little details of everything, confusing myself along the way. As I have progressed through this course, I have learned that in biology most things are all connected, if not everything; this allowed me to make more sense of the material I was learning. Throughout this semester, I have learned about how cells translocate to different organelles, how molecules get transported throughout the cell, the different mechanisms of cell signaling, how cells divide and multiply, etc. After having had the time to reflect as a student, I have learned that the best way for me to learn is by not only watching videos, drawing/writing everything out, and formulating analogies, but by explaining it to a friend, especially a non-biology major. I have found that since they do not have a strong biology background, they tend to ask questions that force me to dive deeper into the how's and the why's. Something else I have learned throughout this course is confidence. This course has given me the confidence and has allowed me to truly believe in my abilities to learn; although I truly believe that a lot of that had to do with the professor teaching the course, Dr. Villaneuva. While I have learned a lot throughout this semester, my biggest challenge has been to be able to mentally visualize the different mechanisms, given that they all happen within an extremely small cell. Furthermore, if there was one thing I wish could have been done differently, it would be to start from the further chapters and work our way down to the earlier chapters. While I know that may sound strange, in my personal experience, everything made more sense when I started from the back and worked my way to the front. Overall, not only have I really enjoyed learning about Cell & Molecular Biology, but this course has had a big impact on my life; so much so that whenever I get a small cut or scrap, I immediately begin to think about the different mechanisms my body is undergoing in order to heal and fix that small injury. Many people say that the professor makes a big difference in a student's learning experience, and it is 100% true. 

Comments

Popular Posts